2013 Award Winners Announced
Please join us in congratulating the 2013 ASCE Pittsburgh Section award winners at the Annual Awards Banquet at ESWP on February 22, 2014. More information, including event registration, can be found here. The award winners are as follows:
- Civil Engineer of the Year - Kemal Niksic, P.E.
- Young Civil Engineer of the Year - Linda Kaplan, P.E.
- Professor of the Year - Julie Vandenbossche, P.E.
- Government Engineer of the Year - Barry Schoch, P.E.
- Distinguished Civil Engineer - Jorge Suarez, P.E.
- Meritorious Service to the Pittsburgh Section - Greg Scott, P.E.
- Service to People - Arletta Scott Williams
- Employer Recognition Award - Hatch Mott MacDonald
- Civil Engineering Achievement Award - Wasilewski Water Treatment Plant, Erie: largest membrane filter plant in USA
- Award of Merit - Altoona Wastewater Treatment Plant Biological Nutrient Removal (BNR) Upgrade
- Civil Engineering Sustainability Award - Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens Center for Sustainable Landscapes
Congratulations to all the award winners!
Continuing Education Committee Seeks Officers
Continuing education and life long learning are important parts of a Civil Engineer's career development and licensing requirements. Accordingly, the Continuing Education Committee's main objective is to provide a forum for communications among members of the Pittsburgh Section, members of Technical Groups, and civil engineering educators to share knowledge and information on new practices, techniques, and other information to maintain and advance technical and professional skills of Section members.
The committee is seeking new officers (vice chair and secretary/treasurer) and members for a term of three years. Common activities include (1) participation in bimonthly committee meetings (some may be Web meetings or conference calls), (2) participation in up to 3 meetings per year with other committees or organizations, (3) participation in ongoing Email discussions, and (4) periodic review of documents and reports.
Engineers as well as student and faculty members are encouraged to apply by December 31, 2013. Nominations are also welcome. If interested, please Email a resume indicating interest (vice chair, secretary/treasurer, student liaison, faculty liaison, committee member) to:
Sam Shamsi, P.E., F.ASCE
Chair, Continuing Education Committee
PA Report Card on Infrastructure
The ASCE Pittsburgh Section is looking for knowledgeable people (students, retirees, & professionals) who can rate how PA is performing in any of the following 16 fields for the upcoming Pennsylvania Report Card on Infrastructure:
Volunteers can anticipate a 4-6 hour commitment each month from September 2013 to February 2014. The last PA report card was published in 2010 and can be found here: http://www.pareportcard.org/report_card.html
- Dams, Levees, Inland Waterways
- Drinking Water, Hazardous Waste, Solid Waste, Waste Water
- Aviation, Bridges, Ports, Rail, Roads, Transit
- Parks and Recreation, Schools and Energy
If you're interested in volunteering/want more info, please contact:
Ann M. Tomalavage, P.E., PMP, LEED AP
President, Malarkey Consulting, Inc.
This is a great opportunity to help inform the public of the quality of our state's infrastructure. Hope you can volunteer!